Since #HealthXPh started, its healthcare discussions always included patients , often via a patients first outlook. All the summits and conferences we’ve organized or joined to included patients and patients advocates in the core. Last year’s 2nd #HealthXPh Philippine Healthcare & Social Media Summit is also unique having been certified as a Patients Included conference. It was a success because patients are part of the core organizers and participants.
This year’s conference, The 3rd#HealthXPh Philippine Healthcare & Social Media Summit aims to not just include patients, but will work towards formulating researches that will ultimately benefit Filipino patients.
Here’s why we believe the 3rd #HealthXPh Philippine Healthcare Social Media Summit fulfils the criteria of a Patients Included Conference.
- “Patients or caregivers with experience relevant to the conference’s central theme actively participate in the design and planning of the event, including the selection of themes, topics and speakers.” – The event is co- organized by no less a chronic dialysis patient himself , Dr. Narciso Tapia one of #HealthXPh co-founders. A community of patients and advocate (Psoariasis Ph, Dialysis Ph) sent topics and topic speakers to the event.
- “Patients or caregivers with experience of the issues addressed by the event participate in its delivery, and appear in its physical audience.” – A Psoariasis patient, chronic dialysis patient and patient advocates are speaking on patient related topics in this conference. A patient group have also confirmed to participate in the event.
- “Travel and accommodation expenses for patients or carers participating in the advertised programme are paid in full, in advance. Scholarships are provided by the conference organisers to allow patients or carers affected by the relevant issues to attend as delegates.” – Admission is free for all participants including patients. (Click this link for the summit pre registration.) The patient speakers from outside Cebu City had their travel and accommodation expenses paid for by the organizers of this event.
- “The disability requirements of participants are accommodated. All applicable sessions, breakouts, ancillary meetings, and other programme elements are open to patient delegates.” – The venue is Person with disabilities-friendly. The speaker/ participants food preferences were asked prior to the event. The plenary sessions as well as all applicable breakout sessions will be open to patient delegates.
- “Access for virtual participants is facilitated,with free streaming video provided online wherever possible.” – Free live streaming will be provided on the activity starting on the day itself and will be broadcast over free open access social media platforms.
With our theme“Social Media & Health Research: Connections that Matter” we hope all these efforts to include patients in the conference will ultimately benefit the patients. For in reality, connections that matter are only those that matter to patients.